Burroughs Corporation records. Salesmen's manuals and literature
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains manuals dating back to 1906, and continuing up to 1975. They cover many areas, from how to be a good salesman to education-type manuals that the salesmen used to learn how to operate the machines they were selling. There are introductory manuals, and those for selling to a specific type of customer. The sales literature contains information on courses, includes several forms for bookkeeping and quotas, and calculations tables.
This is one series of the Burroughs Corporation Records (CBI 90). Please see the other series finding aids for further information regarding the Burroughs Corporation.
- Burroughs Corporation (Organization)
Language of Materials
Access to materials:
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
The Charles Babbage Institute holds the copyright to all materials in the collection, except for items covered by a prior copyright (such as published materials). Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
The Burroughs sales force was an important part of the company from the first years of the American Arithmometer Company, and later when it was renamed Burroughs. Many company-produced manuals and literature that was used to educate and encourage salesmen.
3 boxes (2.33 cubic feet)
Collection contains manuals produced by Burroughs to educate and encourage salesmen that cover a variety of topics from salesmanship to product information.
Arrangement of Collection
The materials in this collection are arranged into the following groups:
- Sales Literature
- Sales Manuals
- Sales Memoranda
The records were given to the Charles Babbage Institute by Unisys Corporation in 1991.
- Burroughs Adding Machine Company
- Computer industry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Office equipment and supplies industry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Selling -- Accounting machines. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Selling -- Bookkeeping machines. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Selling -- Calculators. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Selling -- Computers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Burroughs Corporation Records. Salesmen's Manuals and Literature, 1906-1975. Finding Aid.
- Prepared by Susan A. Stepka, September 1995.
- July 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Charles Babbage Institute Archives Collecting Area
Elmer L. Andersen Library
222 - 21st Avenue South
Minneapolis MN 55455