Cuthbert C. Hurd papers
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains correspondence, memoranda, and reports relating to Cuthbert Hurd's work with the Applied Science Department at IBM and minutes, memoranda, reports, and notes related to his chairmanship of Quintus Computer Systems. The IBM records concern the Card- Programmed Electronic Calculator (CPC) and the Defense Calculator (which became the IBM 701 computer), and include reports from field representatives relating customers, potential customers, scientific applications of computers, and IBM's strategy for selling computers of that period. Among the records is correspondence with IBM executives. The Quintus records include business plans, agreements, stock and financial records, news releases, papers on the Prolog language, product planning and specifications memoranda, and board minutes.
- (bulk, 1946-1955, 1984-1989)
- Hurd, Cuthbert Corwin, 1911- (Person)
Language of Materials
Access to materials:
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
The Charles Babbage Institute holds the copyright to all materials in the collection, except for items covered by a prior copyright (such as published materials). Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Cuthbert Corwin Hurd joined IBM in 1949 after teaching and serving as a technical research head at the atomic energy facility in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. At IBM, he formed the Applied Science Department and pushed reluctant management into the world of computing. After leaving IBM in 1962, he served as chairman of the Computer Usage Company until 1974 when he formed Cuthbert C. Hurd Associates. From 1978 to 1986, Hurd served as chairman for Picodyne Corporation. Hurd was a founder, president, and chairman of Quintus Computer Systems from 1984 until October 1989 when Quintus was acquired by Intergraph.
Biographical information from:
Cuthbert C. Hurd,in J.A.N. Lee, Computer Pioneers(Los Altimos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press, 1995), 389.
10 boxes (2.75 cubic feet)
Collection contains correspondence, memoranda, and reports relating to Cuthbert C. Hurd's work with the Applied Science Department at IBM and minutes, memoranda, reports, and notes related to his chairmanship of Quintus Computer Systems.
Arrangement of Collection
The materials in this collection are arranged into the following groups:
- Applied Science Department Staff Files, 1950-1952
- International Business Machines (IBM), 1954-1977
- Quintus Computer Systems, Inc., 1983-1989
The records were given to the Charles Babbage Institute by Cuthbert C. Hurd in 1995 and 1996.
- Hurd, Cuthbert Corwin, 1911-
- IBM 701 (Computer) Subject Source: Local sources
- IBM CPC (Computer) Subject Source: Local sources
- IBM computers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- International Business Machines Corporation
- Prolog (Computer program language) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Quintus Computer Systems, Inc.
- Cuthbert C. Hurd Papers, 1946-1992. Finding Aid.
- Prepared by Peter Stramoski, Kevin D. Corbitt, and Bruce H. Bruemmer, August 1995.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note