Georgia B. Miller collection of Data Processing Management Association, Office Systems Research Association, and Administrative Management Society records
Scope and Content Note
This collection documents Georgia Miller's involvement in the leadership of DPMA. The two series in this collection, Committees, Task Forces and Councils, as well as Subject Files, parallel the organization in the DPMA records (CBI 88) that contain more extensive documentation of the association. Most publications and a few subject files were transferred to the DPMA records. CBI kept the bulk of the Miller collection separate from the DPMA records since it originated outside headquarters and provides a different perspective on DPMA.
The Committees, Task Forces, and Councils series may include: summary minutes, committee reports, background materials on agenda items, executive director's reports, background material related to arrangements for meeting by headquarters staff. No effort has been made to locate summary minutes of earlier meetings in handouts for later meetings and eliminate duplication. Folders in this Executive Council subseries include the phrase "meeting material" as the folders contain background material assembled for Executive Council members. Individual corporate bodies are arranged alphabetically as subseries. This series does not include references to all occurrences of committee, task force, or council materials within the subject files series.
Subject files series includes correspondence, memoranda, reports, publications, and notes related to Miller's involvement in DPMA, OSRA, and the AMS Indianapolis Chapter. The collection emphasizes Miller's work in promoting improved data processing education through the development of model curricula at OSRA and DPMA and her role in the formation and growth of the DPMA Special Interest Group for Education (EDSIG). Also documented are her activities and those of her predecessors in various leadership positions at regional, national, and international levels in DPMA. The series is arranged alphabetically by topic and, occasionally, subtopics are used. Folders with have relevance for multiple subjects may be listed more than once.
Abbreviations used in the contents listing:
- AMS = Administrative Management Society
- DPMA = Data Processing Management Association
- DPMA EF = DPMA Education Foundation
- EDSIG = DPMA Special Interest Group for Education
- IVP = International Vice President
- ICCP = Institute for Certification of Computer Professionals
- OSRA = Office Systems Research Association
- Project MAP = DPMA Management Assistance Program
- Region 9 VP = DPMA Region 9 Vice President
- Miller, Georgia B. (Georgia Blair) (Person)
Language of Materials
Access to materials:
Permission from the Data Processing Management Association required for use of verbatim minutes of any age and financial data greater than 20 years old. No access to financial data less than 20 years old. Consult archives staff for further information.
The Charles Babbage Institute holds the copyright to all materials in the collection, except for items covered by a prior copyright (such as published materials). Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Georgia B. Miller, active in business computing education, served in various leadership positions in the Data Processing Management Association (DPMA) at the chapter, regional, and international levels. At the chapter level, she served as Secretary for the South Central Kentucky chapter in 1974 and held the offices of Executive Vice President (1979), President (1980), and International Director (1982) in the Central Indian Chapter. In Region 9, Miller held the offices of Coordinator (1982) and Vice President (1983) in addition to serving on regional committees. At the international level, she served as International Vice President for Education Services (1984-1985?), International Vice President for Research and Planning (1985-circa 1986), Executive Vice President (1988), and International President (1989).
Her interest in education led her to be one of the founders of the DPMA Education Special Interest Group (EDSIG) and she became the first president (1983) when the Executive Council created EDSIG. In addition, she was a member of the DPMA Education Foundation (DPMA EF) Board of Regents from (1979-1983) and served as DPMA EF Vice President (1981-1982).
Georgia Miller served in the Office Systems Research Society (OSRA) as Secretary/Historian (1982) before becoming Vice President for Professional Studies and Office Systems Model Curriculum Chairperson concurrently (1983-1984). She also served as the Treasurer (1984-1985) for the Indianapolis chapter of the Administrative Management Society (AMS).
11 boxes (3.75 cubic feet)
Collection documents Georgia Miller's involvement in the leadership of DPMA. Materials include summary minutes, committee reports, background materials on agenda items, executive director's reports, background material related to arrangements for meeting by headquarters staff, correspondence, memoranda, reports, publications, and notes related to Miller's involvement in DPMA, OSRA, and the AMS Indianapolis Chapter.
Arrangement of Collection
Materials are arranged into the following groups:
- Committees, Task Forces and Councils
- Subject Files
Donated by Georgia B. Miller in 1996.
- Administrative Management Society. Indianapolis Chapter.
- Data Processing Management Association
- Data Processing Management Association. Special Interest Group for Education
- Electronic data processing -- Management. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Electronic data processing -- Study and teaching (Higher) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Office Systems Research Association (Cleveland, Ohio)
- Societies -- History, organization, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Trade associations. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Georgia B. Miller Collection of Data Processing Management Association, Office Systems Research Association, and Administrative Management Society Records, 1982-1989. Finding Aid.
- Prepared by Kevin D. Corbitt, December 1996.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Charles Babbage Institute Archives Collecting Area
Elmer L. Andersen Library
222 - 21st Avenue South
Minneapolis MN 55455