Alden W. Allen papers
Identifier: CBI 26
Scope and Content Note
The collection includes photographs, drawings, specifications, maintenance manuals, correspondence, memoranda, and newspaper clippings largely related to magnetic drum storage devices produced by ERA and Univac. In addition, the collection includes information about fixed and flying head drums, magnetic heads, and specific drum projects. The collection also contains extensive photographs of ERA and Univac drums, a maintenance manual for the Remington Rand model 46 High-Speed Printer, newspaper clippings about the company, correspondence related to Alden's employment, and publications.
- Allen, Alden W. (Person)
Language of Materials
Access to materials:
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
The Charles Babbage Institute holds the copyright to all materials in the collection, except for items covered by a prior copyright (such as published materials). Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Alden Allen joined the Engineering Research Associates (ERA) division of Remington Rand (later the Univac division of Sperry Rand) in 1955 as a mechanical engineer. He was involved in the development and production of magnetic drum and thin film memory for computer systems.
1 box (1 cubic foot)
Collection contains photographs, drawings, specifications, maintenance manuals, correspondence, memoranda, and newspaper clippings largely related to magnetic drum storage devices produced by ERA and Univac during Alden Allen's employment with ERA division of Remington Rand, later the Univac division of Sperry Rand.
Arrangement of Collection
The materials in this collection are arranged into the following groups:
- Magnetic Storage Drums General Information, undated and 1951-1969
- Specific Drum Information, undated and 1958-1963
- Magnetic Drum Artifacts, undated
- Miscellaneous, 1957-1977
The records were given to the Charles Babbage Institute by Alden W. Allen in 1986.
- Allen, Alden W.
- Computer printers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Computer storage devices Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Engineering Research Associates
- Magnetic drums. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Remington Rand, Inc.
- Sperry Rand (Corporation). Univac Division
- Alden W. Allen Papers, 1950-1971. Finding Aid.
- Prepared by Kevin D. Corbitt, March 1991.
- March 2004
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note