Association for Computing Machinery Los Angeles Chapter, Special Interest Group on Programming Languages, Working Group 4, PL/I bulletins.
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of two folders, which contain the PL/I Bulletin, numbers 1-5.
- Association for Computing Machinery. Los Angeles Chapter. Special Interest Group on Programming Languages. Working Group 4. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Access to materials:
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
The items in the collection are covered by a prior copyright. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
PL/I, a programming language, was originally developed in 1963 by a committee of people drawn from IBM and SHARE, an IBM user group. The intent of the designers of PL/I was to create a language which could be used in business and scientific applications, as well as in systems programming applications such as writing operating systems. The definition of standard PL/I was formally released in late 1976, but the content of PL/I was well-known before that time. The PL/I Bulletin was sponsored by Working Group 4 (WG4) of the Special Interest Group on Programming Languages (SIGPLAN) of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Association for Computing Machinery. WG4 was established in late 1964 by SIGPLAN. WG4 determined the PL/I Bulletin was the best method of fulfilling their stated purpose of communicating information about PL/I to members of SIGPLAN and other interested persons. The decision to sponsor the PL/I Bulletin was made in October 1965 and the first PL/I Bulletin was issued in January 1966. The publication was intended to serve as an informal forum for the exchange of information about PL/I by PL/I specialists or programming language specialists.
1 box (0.1 cubic feet)
Collection includes PL/I Bulletins 1 through 5, which contain editor's notes, references, a circulation list, correspondence, news items, working papers, programs, and discussion.
Materials were given to CBI by several individuals before 1991.
- PL/I (Computer program language) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programming languages (Electronic computers) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Association for Computing Machinery Los Angeles Chapter, Special Interest Group on Programming Languages, Working Group 4, PL/I Bulletins, 1966-1967. Finding Aid.
- Prepared by Kevin D. Corbitt, March 1991.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Charles Babbage Institute Archives Collecting Area
Elmer L. Andersen Library
222 - 21st Avenue South
Minneapolis MN 55455