Jerome Garfunkel papers
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains committee documents, correspondence, minutes, programming language standards drafts, and personal meeting notes from: the American National Standards Institute's American COBOL Committee; Standards Planning and Requirements Committee (SPARC); the SPARC Programming Languages Study Group; the Conference on Data Systems Languages' COBOL Committee and Screen Management Task Group; and the International Organization for Standardization's International COBOL Committee and International Committee for the Preparation of Guidelines for Programming Languages.
The collection documents the development of COBOL and other programming languages from 1977 through 1989, especially the revision of COBOL into COBOL 85. The COBOL language went through a controversial period between 1980 and 1985 leading to the release of COBOL 85, and this period is well documented particularly through thousands of letters from the public review period.
- Garfunkel, Jerome (Person)
Language of Materials
Access to materials:
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
The Charles Babbage Institute holds the copyright to all materials in the collection, except for items covered by a prior copyright (such as published materials). Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Jerome Garfunkel was a member of many COBOL and programming languages groups, and an observer of the Screen Management Task Group (SMTG), now called Forms Interface Management Systems (FIMS) Committee.
8 boxes (7.5 cubic feet)
Collection contains Jerome Garfunkel's committee documents, correspondence, minutes, programming language standards drafts, and personal meeting notes from various COBOL and programming languages committees and task groups. The collection documents the development of COBOL and other programming languages from 1977 through 1989, especially the revision of COBOL into COBOL 85.
Arrangement of Collection
The materials in this collection are arranged into the following groups:
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Records, 1980-1989
- CODASYL Records, 1977-1989
- International Standards Organization (ISO) Records, 1983-1989
- Personal Meeting Notes, 1979-1989
The records were given to the Charles Babbage Institute by Jerome Garfunkel in 1990.
- American National Standards Institute.
- COBOL (Computer program language) -- Standards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conference on Data Systems Languages
- Garfunkel, Jerome
- International Organization for Standardization.
- Programming languages (Electronic computers) -- Standards. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jerome Garfunkel Papers, 1977-1989. Finding Aid.
- Prepared by Pat Hennessy, March 1991.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note