Control Data Corporation records. Engineering, Research and Development.
Scope and Content Note
This series documents the research, development, and engineering activities of the Control Data Corporation from 1957-1985 (bulk 1960s and 1970s).
Materials include memos, correspondence, photographs, engineering specifications and technical diagrams, as well as technical reports, articles, papers, and literature. Most technical literature has been separated from the collection and placed in the CDC Product Literature series, except for small amounts of literature found in various CDC division records. Manuals have also been separated from the collection and placed in the CDC Product Manuals series, with the exception of some preliminary or draft copies, including those which are the work of particular engineers (e.g. Jay Kershaw), or portions of records documenting the development of a specific computer system (e.g. STAR).
Well-documented portions of the collection include development of the STAR computer system (from the records of Neil R. Lincoln), and the records of engineers Jay A. Kershaw, and J.E. Thornton. Kershaw’s records include a great deal of information about the STAR and Cyber 80 systems, Worldtech (a CDC venture), Advanced Systems Laboratory (including the Integrated Product Line, and Computer Terminals of Iran), Advanced Systems Division, and the Special Systems Division. Thornton’s records reflect his work with fellow engineer, Seymour Cray, during the early years of CDC and its development of the 1604 Computer. Neil Lincoln’s records document his work at CDC in the 1960s and 1970s, and are not complete. For example, not reflected in Lincoln’s papers is his work within CDC’s supercomputer subsidiary, ETA Systems, Inc. The majority of Neil Lincoln’s records concern development of the STAR computer systems and reflect his and other engineer’s work on the project. Lincoln’s STAR records are integrated with other STAR records in this series.
Acronyms used in this finding aid:
- CDC = Control Data Corporation
- CTI = Computer Terminals of Iran
- STAR = STring ARray
- NCR = National Cash Register Company
- IPL = Integrated Product Line
This is one series of the Control Data Corporation Records (CBI 80). Please see the other series finding aids for further information regarding the Control Data Corporation.
- Majority of material found in ( 1960s-1970s)
- Control Data Corporation (Organization)
Language of Materials
Access to materials:
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
The Charles Babbage Institute holds the copyright to all materials in the collection, except for items covered by a prior copyright (such as published materials). Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Control Data’s early basic and applied research and development activities were conducted within a select number of divisions: Computer Division, Corporate Development, Cedar Engineering, Peripheral Division, Research Division, and System Sciences Division. By the late 1960s, the company had grown and acquired more subsidiaries and the engineering functions of the company were divided among more groups and divisions, and the structure of the company became more hierarchical and bureaucratic.
44 boxes (38.1 cubic feet)
This series documents the research, development, and engineering activities of the Control Data Corporation from 1957-1985.
Arrangement of Collection
The materials in this collection are arranged into the following groups:
- By Division
- By Computer System
- Technical Reports in Alphabetical Order
- Research and Development Technical Planning and Reports
- Engineers' Papers
- Systems and Software Development
The records were given to the Charles Babbage Institute by Ceridian Corporation in 1991.
- Computer industry -- Research. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Electronic digital computers -- Design and construction. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kershaw, Jay A.
- Lincoln, Neil R.
- Research and development. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Thornton, J. E. (James E.)
- Control Data Corporation Records. Engineering, Research and Development, 1957-1986. Finding Aid.
- Prepared by Caroline Gasser and Kevin D. Corbitt, 1998; by Maria Plonski, Josh Knatterud-Hubinger, and Kate Flanagan, 2003-2004. Updated by Karen Spilman, 2006.
- February 2006
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note