Susan Hirschman Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains articles, correspondence, photographs, speeches, and event memorabilia from Susan Hirschman between 1967 to 2001. The majority of the materials document the time Hirschman worked as editor-in-chief at Greenwillow Books. Correspondence includes notable illustrators and authors like Kevin Henkes, Don Freeman, Leonard Kessler, Mildred Batchelder, Philippa Pearce, and Anita Lobel.
- 1967-2001, undated
- Hirschman, Susan (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Susan Hirschman was born in New York City, New York. She began her career in the children’s book department of Harper Brothers under Ursula Nordstrom and she moved from there to Macmillan as Editor-in-Chief. Ten years later, in 1974, she founded Greenwillow Books. Under her guidance, Greenwillow published the works of authors and illustrators including Tana Hoban, Sid Fleischman, Vera Williams, and Anita Lobel. She retired in 2001 and lives in Manhattan.
An Interview with Susan Hirschman: Part I. By: Marcus, Leonard S., Hirschman, Susan, Horn Book Magazine, 00185078, Mar/Apr96, Vol. 72, Issue 2
The Foundation for Children’s Books. Fifth Annual Hope S. Dean Memorial Awards Presentation Pamphlet. December 1, 1995
1.25 Cubic Feet (1 record carton)
Language of Materials
This collection documents Susan Hirschman’s tenure as an editor of children’s literature from 1967-2001. The materials are primarily correspondence between Hirschman and the authors and illustrators working with Greenwillow Books.
The records are arranged in five series.
- Greenwillow Books events and anniversaries
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Susan Hirschman.
- Authors, American -- 21st century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Book editors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publishers and publishing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Susan Hirschman Papers, 1967-2001, undated
- Lauren Hallau
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library