Jane Yolen Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection focuses on Jane Yolen's work as an author and editor of books for children and young adults. The collection contains production material for over 200 books. The collection includes manuscripts, typescripts, page proofs, proofs for jackets, layout notes, dummies, clippings and reviews, research material, and some miscellaneous material such as book catalogs, agreements, and biographical material. There is also a substantial amount of correspondence to and from Jane Yolen.
- Creation: 1961-2017, undated
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jane Yolen was born February 11, 1939 in New York City. She graduated from Smith College in 1960, and received her M.Ed. from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst in 1976. After college she worked for several magazines and publishers as editor, and in 1963 published her first book for children, Pirates in Petticoats.
Throughout her career she has written over 300 books for children and young adults including pictures books, novels, short stories, verse and plays, as well as editing fantasy and science fiction short story collections. While best known for her fairy tales and fantasy, Jane Yolen has also written in a contemporary setting, science fiction, as well as nonfiction.
Yolen lives in Massachusetts.
78.75 Cubic Feet (63 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Jane Yolen's papers focus on her work as an author and editor of books for children and young adults. The collection contains production material for her books and some miscellaneous material such as book catalogs, agreements, and biographical material, and a substantial amount of correspondence to and from Jane Yolen.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
On permament loan to the collection from Jane Yolen.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Juvenile fiction
- Alphabet books
- Angels -- Juvenile literature
- Animals -- Juvenile fiction
- Animals, Mythical -- Juvenile fiction
- Arthur, King -- Juvenile fiction
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Bears -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's poetry, American
- Children's stories, American
- Dinosaurs -- Juvenile fiction
- Dragons -- Juvenile fiction
- Fairy Tales
- Fantasy fiction
- Ghost stories
- Jews -- Folklore
- Judaism -- Juvenile literature
- Magic -- Juvenile fiction
- Merlin (legendary character) -- Juvenile fiction
- Nature -- Juvenile literature
- Parent and child -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Science fiction, American
- Short stories
- Time travel -- Juvenile fiction
- Witches -- Juvenile fiction
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Juvenile fiction
- Jane Yolen papers, 1961-2017, undated
- CLRC Staff
- 1995, 2009
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2013, April 2014: Collection reprocessed by Carly Lawrence and Laura Howard; EAD updated by Karen Spilman and Kate Dietrick
- May 2017: New material added by Carter Thurmond.
- July 2018: New material added by Carter Thurmond.
- February 2023: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library