Sonia Bleeker Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production materials for nonfiction antrhopology books authored by Sonia Bleeker for children and young adults, and includes typescripts, galley proofs, notes, and clippings.
- Creation: 1950 - 1970
- Bleeker, Sonia (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Sonia Bleeker was born in 1909 in Starchevichi, Russia. She received her BA at Hunter College in 1933 and did graduate study in anthropology at Columbia University. She was awarded a Doctor of Science degree from Beloit College in 1967.
Bleeker married children's book author Herbert Zim in 1934 and was an editor at Simon and Schuster from 1931 to 1946. She was known for writing anthropology books for young adults about Native Americans, pre-colonization cultures in the Americas, and various African tribes. She traveled widely to assemble background on her books. Sonia Bleeker died in 1971.
Biographical Sources: "Sonia Bleeker (1909-1971)." Something About the Author. Vol. 2 and 26. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1971 and 1982.
1.3 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Sonia Bleeker papers contain production material related to books written by Bleeker.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Anthropology -- Juvenile literature
- Apache Indians -- Juvenile literature
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Authors, Russian -- 20th century
- Birds -- Juvenile literature
- Cherokee Indians -- Juvenile literature
- Crow Indians -- Juvenile literature
- Delaware Indians -- Juvenile literature
- Igbo (African people) -- Juvenile literature
- Indians of North America -- Juvenile literature
- Indians of North America -- Northwest, Pacific -- Juvenile literature
- Tuaregs -- Juvenile literature
- Zulu (African people) -- Juvenile literature
- Sonia Bleeker Papers, 1950-1970
- Nancy Larsen
- May 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2013: Collection reprocessed by Victoria Rieck; EAD updated by Karen Spilman
- May 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library