Henry Chafetz Collection
Scope and Contents
The Henry Chafetz collection contains a single corrected typescript for the children's book The Lost Dream.
- circa 1955
- Chafetz, Henry (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Henry Chafetz was an author, editor, publisher, and bookseller. Born in New York, Chafetz earned a degree from New York University, and served in the Air Force in World War II. He wrote several books for young people, and also served as president of Cooper Square Publishers, and was a co-owner of the Pageant Bookstore. He died in New York in 1978 at age 61.
Source: Obituary, New York Times, 8 January 1978. https://www.nytimes.com/1978/01/08/archives/henry-chafetz-61-writer-and-editor-manyfaceted-figure-in-book-field.html
Language of Materials
The collection contains a typescript for one children's book written by Henry Chafetz.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dreams -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Henry Chafetz Collection, circa 1955
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library