Joyce Hansen Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of mansucript materials dated between 1987 and 2001 and includes corrected typescripts, correspondence, corrected page proofs, cover copies, notes, holographs, clippings, and research for five books by Joyce Hansen.
- Creation: 1987-2001, undated
- Hansen, Joyce (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Joyce Hansen was born October 18, 1942 in New York, growing up in the Bronx neighborhood of New York City. She attended Pace University at night while working secretarial jobs during the day, receiving her Bachelor of Arts and eventually her MA in English Education from New York University in 1978. While teaching in public schools around New York she published her first book, The Gift-Giver, in 1980. Four of her books have received the Coretta Scott King Honor Book award. In 1995 Hansen retired from teaching and writes full time while living in South Carolina. Her website can be found at www.joycehansen.com.
1.6 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of manuscript materials related to five books by Joyce Hansen published between 1988 and 2001.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Joyce Hansen.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, African American -- Juvenile literature
- African American soldiers -- History -- 19th century -- Juvenile literature
- African American women -- Biographical -- Juvenile literature
- African Americans -- Juvenile fiction
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Children's stories, American
- Foster home care -- Juvenile fiction
- Slavery -- United States -- Juvenile fiction
- Young adult fiction, American
- Joyce Hansen papers, 1987-2001, undated
- Finding aid created by CLRC Staff
- June 2004, June 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2014: Collection reprocessed by Jessica Botoshe; EAD updated by Kate Dietrick
- March 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library