Susan McLean Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains written production materials for one title, Susan McLean's Pennies for the Piper, and includes corrected manuscripts, typescripts, and related materials. The collection also holds historical family photographs, personal correspondence, and mementos (including some material related to McLean's daughter, Sara).
- 1944-1996, undated
- McLean, Susan (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Minnesota author Susan Hunter McLean was born in Hibbing, MN, and grew up in Cloquet. Her novel Pennies for the Piper, drew on some of her own memories of the deaths of her parents. She lived in Minneapolis with her husband Austin McLean, who was head of the University of Minnesota special collections library. They had one daughter, Sara, who died in a car crash in 1978, when she was 16.
2.5 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection contains written production material for one novel by McLean, as well as personal papers.
The collection is arranged into two series:
- Pennies for the Piper
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Susan McLean, with additional materials related to her book, and personal photographs and mementos, donated by McLean's sister, Maggie J. Petersen.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Death -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mothers and daughters -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Petersen, Maggie (Donor, Person)
- Susan McLean Papers, 1944-1996
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- September 2015: Collection reprocessed and EAD updated by Caitlin Marineau
- February 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library