Betty Miles Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes typescripts, proofs, and related production material for children's and young adult books written by Betty Miles.
- Creation: 1957 - 1997
- Miles, Betty (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Betty Miles was born in Chicago on May 16, 1928, but for her first six years was raised in Baghdad, Iraq, by her missionary parents. Following college at Antioch College she worked as an assistant teacher in New York. Trying to find suitable books to read to the children led her to begin writing her own books, which in turn led to her career as an author or children's books. Many of her books dealt with real-life issues, such as ecology and feminism. Miles died in 2018.
Biographical Sources: "Betty Miles (1928-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 78. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1994.
4.15 Cubic Feet (4 boxes [3 record cartons and 1 hollinger box])
Language of Materials
The collection contains written production materials for juvenile works written by author Betty Miles.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Betty Miles.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- African Americans -- Juvenile fiction
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Censorship -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's stories, American
- Death -- Juvenile fiction
- Folklore -- Juvenile literature
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Pets -- Juvenile fiction
- Pollution -- Juvenile literature
- Prejudices -- Juvenile fiction
- Reading (Primary) -- Juvenile literature
- Young adult fiction, American
- Betty Miles Papers, 1957-1997
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- February 2020: Collection reprocessed by Ellen Sugg and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library