Bill and Vera Cleaver Papers
Scope and Contents
The Bill and Vera Cleaver papers contain drafts, correspondence, and proofs for the children's book Ellen Grae, coauthored by the Cleavers and published in 1967.
- 1965 - 1968
- Cleaver, Bill (Person)
- Cleaver, Vera (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Vera Cleaver was born in South Dakota in 1919 and met her husband, Bill Cleaver (originally of Seattle, Washington), during World War II, during which he served in the Air Force. They married in 1945. Their virst collaboration, Ellen Grae, was published in 1967, and for almost twenty-five years Vera and Bill Cleaver co-wrote novels for children, one developing the ideas and the other did most of the writing. Bill died in 1981, after which Vera continued to write on her own. Vera died in 1992.
Biographical source: "Vera Cleaver (1919-1992)." Something About the Author. Vol. 76. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1994.
Language of Materials
The collection contains drafts and correspondence related to one children's book written by Bill and Vera Cleaver.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Bill and Vera Cleaver.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Honesty -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- People with mental disabilities -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bill and Vera Cleaver Papers, 1965-1968
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- February 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library