Gerhard Oberländer Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains miscellaneous original art, including five ink and mixed media pieces by Gerhard Oberländer, all dated 1962 and some inscribed to Dr. Irvin Kerlan.
- Oberländer, Gerhard (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Gerhard Oberländer was a German artist and illustrator. He was born in 1902 in Berlin, Germany and studied at the Reimann School and the Berlin University of the Arts. After World War II, during which he was drafted as a soldier into the Wehrmacht, he worked as a freelance painter and illustrator, including for the Gutenberg Book Guild, Ellermann-Verlag, and Heimaren-Verlag. He primarily illustrated children's books, although he worked in a variety of other genres, as well. Oberländer died in 1995 in Offenbach.
"Gerhard Oberlander." German Wikipedia. Accessed May 2023. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Oberl%C3%A4nder.
Language of Materials
The collection contains five pieces of art by Oberlander, all dated 1962.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dr. Irvin Kerlan.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrators -- Germany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mixed media works Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gerhard Oberländer collection, 1962
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2023: Collection reprocessed and collection guide updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library