E. Jefferson Murphy Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a photocopied typescript for Understanding Africa, a nonfiction juvenile title written by E. Jefferson Murphy.
- circa 1969
- Murphy, E. Jefferson (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
E(mmett) Jefferson Murphy was born Juoly 2, 1926, in Thomasvilly, GA. He became a sociologist/anthropologist and was a historian focused on Africa. His book, Understanding Africa was intended for general readers, but eventually developed into a book for children. He published several other books on African history in the years after. He died in 2013. Biographical Source: "E(mmett) Jefferson Murphy (1926-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 4. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1971.
Language of Materials
The collection contains one photocopied typescript of a nonfiction book written by E. Jefferson Murphy.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of E. Jefferson Murphy.
- Africa -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- E. Jefferson Murphy Papers, circa 1969
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- February 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library