Stuart J. Murphy Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains written material for 9 educational mathematics children's book titles published in the late 1990s, and includes typescripts, dummies, correspondence and related production material.
- 1994 - 2001
- Murphy, Stuart J., 1942- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Stuart J. Murphy was born in 1942. He became an education consultant, and for nearly 10 years was art director for Ginn, a textbook publisher. Eventually he developed and wrote the MathStart series which deals with beginning math concepts for preschoolers and the early grades. Each concept, such as counting, adding, and subtracting are dealt with on 3 levels. Although some critics had reservations about the earliest books in the series, critrical reception improved as the series grew; the ultimate goal is 45 titles. Murphy has received several awards for his service to the book industry. Biographical Source: Something About the Author, vol. 115
.4 Cubic Feet (1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The collection contains written materials for 9 educational mathematics picture books written by Stuart J. Murphy.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Stuart J. Murphy.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mathematics -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stories in rhyme Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stuart J. Murphy Papers, 1994-2001
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note