Stuart J. Murphy Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains written material for nine educational mathematics children's books published in the late 1990s, and includes typescripts, dummies, correspondence and related production material.
- 1994 - 2001
- Murphy, Stuart J., 1942- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Stuart J. Murphy was born in 1942 in Connecticut and earned his BFA from the Rhode Island School of Design in 1964. He became an art director and education consultant, and for nearly 10 years was art director for Ginn, a textbook publisher. In the 1990s he developed and wrote the MathStart series which deals with beginning math concepts for preschoolers and the early grades. He is also the creator of the I See I Learn series of books. He lives in Boston and Italy.
"Stuart J. Murphy (1942-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 237. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2012.
.4 Cubic Feet (1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The collection contains written materials for 9 educational mathematics picture books written by Stuart J. Murphy.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by book title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Stuart J. Murphy.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mathematics -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stories in rhyme Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stuart J. Murphy Papers, 1994-2001
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2019: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library