Franklyn Mansfield Branley Papers
Scope and Contents
The Franklyn M. Branley papers contains typescripts, proofs, and related for material for two nonfiction children's books: A Book of Venus for You and The Mystery of Stonehenge.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Franklyn Mansfield Branley was born in 1915 in New Rochelle, New York. He received his teaching license from New Patlz Normal School and his BA from New York University in 1942. He received his MA and Ed.D. from Columbia University in 1948 and 1957, respectively. He taught school from 1936-1954, and from 1954 to 1956 he was a science professor at the Jersey State Teachers College. His work at American Museum of Natural History's Hayden Planetarium from 1956 until his retirement in 1972 sparked his interest in astronomy and space exploration. He wrote over 140 science books for children. He was named New Jersey's Children's Book Writer of the year in 1970. Mansfield died in 2002.
"Franklyn M(ansfield) Branley (1915-2002)." Something About the Author. Vol. 136. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2003.
Language of Materials
The collection consists of production materials for two nonfiction children's books by Franklyn M. Branley.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Franklyn M. Branley.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Stonehenge (England) -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Venus (Planet) -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Venus probes -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Franklyn Mansfield Branley Papers, 1968
- Nancy Larsen
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library