Wilma Pitchford Hays Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes production material for seven books published between 1965 and 1980 by Wilma Pitchford Hays. Materials include correspondence, typescripts, proofs, and research. The collection includes drafts for both fiction and nonfiction titles by Hays, inlcuding one book co-authored with her husband, R. Vernon Hays.
- Creation: 1965-circa 1980
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Wilma Pitchford Hays was born in 1909 in Nance County, Nebraska. She wrote over 45 books for children published between 1955 and 1987. She specialized in writing historical children's books, which stemmed from her experiences growing up in South Dakota and Nebraska. Her work was also strongly influenced by family stories about her ancestors who were among the early settlers of America. She also wrote series of books on holidays, Pilgrims, the American Revolutionary War, regions of the United States and accounts of her childhood. Hays died in 2006.
.4 Cubic Feet (1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
Collection includes production material from fiction and nonfiction children's books published between 1965 and 1980 by Wilma Pitchford Hays.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by book title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Wilma Pitchford Hays.
- Pontiac, Ottawa Chief, -1769 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Lewis, Meriwether, 1774-1809 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Columbus, Christopher -- Juvenile fiction (Depicted, Person)
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Children's stories, American
- Dakota Indians -- Juvenile fiction
- Explorers -- Juvenile literature
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Juvenile fiction
- Indians -- Agriculture -- Juvenile literature
- Indians -- Food -- Juvenile literature
- Indians of North America -- Biography -- Juvenile literature
- Indians of North America -- Juvenile fiction
- Ottawa Indians -- Juvenile literature
- Pilgrims (New Plymouth Colony) -- Juvenile fiction
- Plants, cultivated -- History -- Juvenile literature
- Wilma Pitchford Hays Papers, 1965-circa 1980
- Elizabeth Langley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library