Jocelyn Arundel Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers contain written production material from five children's books published between 1958-1965, including typescripts, proofs, and paste-up dummies. All five books were illustrated by Wesley Dennis.
- circa 1958-1965
- Arundel, Jocelyn (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jocelyn Arundel was born June 16, 1930. She completed her BA at Smith College in 1952 and further studied at Sorbonne, University of Paris. She took a position with the International Union for the Protection of Nature in the US after working in the Brussels branch of the IUCN. It was this work environment, coupled with an "unforgettable" African photographic/study safari, that inspired Arundel's writing. Arundel writes, "I had come to realize that our children, and children all over the world, growing up amid swelling populations and vanishing natural frontiers, will have both a desperate need to find renewed contacts with nature and yet a harder time fulfilling that need. The toughest conservation problems will be their responsibilities." She has written a number of books on conservation-related issues for children.
Biographical source: "Jocelyn (Anne) Arundel Alexander (1930-)." Something About the Author. Volume 22. Detroit, MI: Gale, 198
1 Cubic Foot (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Jocelyn Arundel Papers contain written production material from five books published between 1958-1965.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jocelyn Arundel, 1977.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Elephants -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Horses -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lion -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Natural history -- Africa -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wildlife conservation -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wildlife conservation -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jocelyn Arundel Papers, circa 1958-1965
- Sharlene Murphy
- 2004, 2009
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- March 2013: Collection reprocessed by Carly Lawrence; EAD updated by Karen Spilman
- February 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library