Jim Aylesworth Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers contain written production material for children's books published by Jim Aylesworth. The collection includes manuscripts, typescripts, dummies, reviews, proofs, correspondence, and related items. The collection also holds children's fan correspondence and photographs related to class visits, several folders of rejection letters from publishers, as well as a small amount of handmade realia related to a few of his children's books.
- Creation: 1977 - 2021
- Aylesworth, Jim (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jim Aylesworth was born on February 21, 1943 in Jacksonville, Florida. He earned his B.A. from Miami University (Ohio) in 1965, and after working as a stockbroker, Aylesworth began teaching primary education in 1971 and earned his Masters Degree from Concordia College (River Forest, Illinois) in 1978.
Aylesworth's first picture book for children Hush Up! was published in 1980. In 1996, Aylesworth retired from teaching to write full time. He has authored nearly forty books for children. Aylesworth lives in Chicago, IL.
"Jim Aylesworth (1943-)"Something About the Author. Volume 139. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2003.
Jim Aylesworth resume, 2021.
7.5 Cubic Feet (6 record cartons)
Language of Materials
The collection contains written production material for children's books published by Jim Aylesworth.
Collection is arranged into two series. Publications are arranged in order of date published.
- Other material
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jim Aylesworth.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Alphabet books
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Bedtime -- Juvenile fiction
- Bicycles and bicycling -- Juvenile fiction
- Cats -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's poetry, American
- Children's stories, American
- Country life -- Juvenile fiction
- Domestic animals -- Juvenile fiction
- Dreams -- Juvenile fiction
- English language -- Alphabet -- Juvenile literature
- Fairy Tales
- Fire engines -- Juvenile fiction
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Gifts -- Juvenile fiction
- Magic -- Juvenile fiction
- Mice -- Juvenile fiction
- Night -- Juvenile fiction
- Noise -- Juvenile fiction
- Nursery rhymes
- Picture books
- Presidents -- United States -- Biography -- Juvenile literature
- Railroad trains -- Juvenile fiction
- Seasons -- Juvenile fiction
- Sick -- Juvenile fiction
- Sleep -- Juvenile fiction
- Stories in rhyme
- Teddy bears -- Juvenile fiction
- Time -- Juvenile fiction
- Jim Aylesworth Papers, 1977-2021
- Sharlene Murphy
- October 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- March 2013: Collection reprocessed by Carly Lawrence; EAD updated by Karen Spilman
- February 2022: New material added and description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library