Lydia Cooley Freeman Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains illustrations, proofs, publisher's dummy, pasted-up text, and related material for one children's book, Wind in my Hand, about poet Issa Kobayashi, illustrated by Lydia Cooley [Freeman].
- circa 1970
- Freeman, Lydia (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Artist and writer Lydia Cooley Freeman was born in 1906 and studied art at the University of California Los Angeles and the Art Student's League. She was married to well-known children's author and artist Don Freeman, with whom she coauthored several works. She illustrated two books for children, including Wind in My Hand, written by Hanako Fukuda. She was also a fine artist, working with oil and watercolors. Freeman died in 1998.
Freeman, Roy. "Biography." Lydia Cooley Freeman. April 2010. https://lydiafreeman.com/.
Language of Materials
Collection contains illustrations and related material for one children's book illustrated by Lydia Cooley Freeman (as Lydia Cooley).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Lydia Cooley Freeman's son, Roy Freeman.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Color separation (technique) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Haiku Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ink wash paintings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Japanese poetry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kobayashi, Issa, 1763-1827 (Depicted) -- Juvenile literature
- Lydia Cooley Freeman Papers, circa 1970
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library