Barbara Brenner Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production material for 15 children's books by Barbara Brenner, including manuscripts, typescripts, proofs, correspondence, notes, research material and photocopied illustrations dating from 1973 to 2002.
- Creation: 1973-2002, undated
- Brenner, Barbara (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Author Barbara Brenner was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1925. She attended Seton Hall college 1942-1943, Rutgers University 1944-1946, New York University 1953-1954, and New School for Social Research 1960-1962. Brenner began her career as a copywriter for an insurance company. Her first book Somebody's Slippers, Somebody's Shoes, was published in 1957. She was a senior editor at the Publications Division at the Bank Street College of Education and was an instructor at the Parson's School of Design. Brenner has written over 80 books for children, both fiction and nonfiction.
4 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of materials related to children's books written by Barbara Brenner.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by book title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Barbara Brenner.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- America -- Discovery and exploration -- Juvenile literature
- Japan -- Social life and customs -- Juvenile literature
- African Americans -- Juvenile fiction
- Ants -- Juvenile literature
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Bears -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's stories, American
- Death -- Juvenile fiction
- Detective and mystery stories
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction
- Falcons -- Juvenile fiction
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Juvenile fiction
- Gorilla -- Juvenile fiction
- Painters -- United States -- Biography -- Juvenile literature
- Pets -- Juvenile fiction
- Princes -- Juvenile fiction
- Trees -- Juvenile literature
- Barbara Brenner Papers, 1973-2002, undated
- Nancy Larsen and CLRC Staff
- November 2004 and December 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- December 2013: Collection reprocessed by Laura Howard; EAD updated by Kate Dietrick
- January 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library