Walter Crane Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains five items by Walter Crane, including an ink drawing featuring classically attired musicians, a woodblock print Christmas greeting from 1888, a painting of a classical frieze, a watercolor with classical images and the words "salve" and "vale," and a sketch for the cover of The Graphic Christmas Alphabet, with a letter from Crane about the image written on the back, dated 1874.
- 1874-1888, undated
- Crane, Walter, 1845-1915 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for researchers with no restrictions. Registration with the collection is required.
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
Biographical / Historical
Walter Crane was born in 1845 in Liverpool, England and died in London in 1915. He was among the most important and influential illustrators of children's books in 19th-century England.
Biographical source: "Walter Crane (1845-1915)." Something About the Author. Volume 100. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1999.
Language of Materials
The collection contains five miscellaneous pieces by Walter Crane.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dr. Irvin Kerlan.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustration of books -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- England Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Woodcuts (prints) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- watercolors (paintings) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Walter Crane Collection, 1874-1888, undated
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library