Cathy Hirano Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of manuscript materials related to three publications that originated in Japanese and were translated into English by Cathy Hirano. The materials include typescript, corrected typescript, front matter, correspondence, page proofs and corrected page proofs.
- 1996-2002, undated
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Born and raised in Canada, Cathy Hirano moved to Kyoto, Japan in 1978 as an English teacher. Graduating from the International Christian University of Cultural Anthropology in 1983 she eventually became a freelance translater, leading her to translate Japanese fiction for young adults. Her translation of The Friendsby Kazumi Yumoto won the the Batchelder Award for literature in translation in 1997.
.8 Cubic Feet (2 hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of manuscript materials related to Japanese publications translated into English by Cathy Hirano.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Cathy Hirano.
- Children's literature, Japanese -- Translations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Death -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fantasy fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Japan -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Old age -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Translators Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cathy Hirano, 1996-2002, undated
- Finding aid created by CLRC staff
- November 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2014: Collection reprocessed by Jessica Botoshe; EAD updated by Kate Dietrick
- January 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library