Bill Peet papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production material for fifteen children's books published between 1959 and 1975. The collection consists mainly of illustration studies done in a variety of media.
- Creation: circa 1959-circa 1975
- Peet, Bill (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Author, illustrator, and animator Bill Peet was born January 29, 1915 in Grandview, Indiana. He attended the John Herron Art Institue and later worked as a sketch artist, continuity illustrator and screenwriter at Walt Disney Studios from 1937-1964. During his years at Walt Disney Studios, Bill Peet worked on such films as Fantasia, Cinderella,and 101 Dalmatians. In 1959, he wrote and illustrated Hubert's Hair-Raising Adventure, a book for young children that told of what happens when a haughty lion loses his mane. Bill Peet has received various awards for his books, including a Caldecott Honor citation in 1990 for Bill Peet: An Autobiography. Peet died in 2002 in California.
Biographical Sources: Something About the Author, vol. 78, pp. 157-162 Twentieth Century Children's Writers, 3rd ed., pp. 771-772.
Language of Materials
The Bill Peet papers contain studies for children's books illustrated by Peet.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bill Peet placed this collection on permanent loan at the University of Minnesota in 1976.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Animals -- Juvenile fiction
- Ants -- Juvenile fiction
- Birds -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Crabs -- Juvenile fiction
- Dragons -- Juvenile fiction
- Elephants -- Juvenile fiction
- Hunting -- Juvenile fiction
- Kindness -- Juvenile fiction
- Lion -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Sea monsters -- Juvenile fiction
- Sheep -- Juvenile fiction
- Stories in rhyme
- Wildlife conservation -- Juvenile fiction
- Bill Peet papers, circa 1959-circa 1975
- Christina Cowan, February 1999; Lois Steer, December 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- September 2021: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library