Donald Crews Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a tempera dummy and typescript pages for the children's picture book We Read: A to Z, written and illustrated by Donald Crews.
- circa 1967
- Crews, Donald (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Donald Crews was born in Newark, New Jersey in 1938 and attended Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art. He drew and sketched as a child, trained as a designer in college, and turned to writing and illustrating as an adult. He has created numerous award-winning children's books, including his first book, We Read: A to Z.
"Donald Crews (1938-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 76. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1994.
Language of Materials
Collection contains production material for one children's book created by Donald Crews.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Donald Crews.
- Alphabet books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- English language -- Alphabet -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tempera paintings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Donald Crews Papers, circa 1967
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2023: Collection reprocessed and collection guide updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library