Nigel Gray Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a corrected typescript for the children's novel The Deserter by author Nigel Gray.
- circa 1977
- Gray, Nigel (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Nigel Gray is an Irish-born Australian writer. He was born April 9, 1941 in Aughafatten, Northern Ireland, the son of a Protestant farm laborer and a Catholic kitchen maid. Gray says that his childhood memories are painful. He was not a good student, and in his early life drifted through many jobs. He says he became a writer by accident, when he was on a peace mission to South East Asia during the war there. He turned to writing as a way to inform others of the conditions there. Much of his early writings deal with political and racial unrest, but his style eventually became lighter, and even whimsical.
Biographical Sources: "Nigel Gray (1941-)." Something About the Author, vols. 33, 104. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1983 and 1999.
Language of Materials
The collection contains a corrected typescript for one children's novel by Nigel Gray.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Placed on permanent loan by Nigel Gray.
- Authors, Australian -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- England -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military deserters -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nigel Gray Papers, circa 1977
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- October 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library