Ruby Zagoren Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains typescripts, research, and correspondence related to the writing and publication of the children's book Venture for Freedom: The True Story of an African Yankee, a retelling of the story of Venture Smith by Ruby Zagoren. Venture Smith was born Broteer in West Africa, and was captured and sold as a slave in the Connecticut before purchasing his freedom in 1765. He wrote an autobiography of his life A Narrative of the Life and Adventures of Venture, a Native of Africa: But Resident above Sixty Years in the United States of America. Related by Himself, which Zagoren based her book on.
- 1966 - 1969
- Zagoren, Ruby (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Author and poet Ruby Zagoren was born in 1923 and attended Connecticut College in New London. In addition to Venture for Freedom, Zagoren published several books of poetry. She died in 1974.
Source: Stannard, Charles. "Traveling Back to Route 9a And Pop's." Hartland Courant. April 10, 2001.
Language of Materials
Contains typescripts and research material for one nonfiction children's book by Ruby Zagoren.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Ruby Zagoren.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Slavery -- Connecticut -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slavery -- History -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Smith, Venture, 1729?-1805 (Depicted) -- Juvenile literature
- Ruby Zagoren Papers, 1966-1969
- Leslie Czechowski and Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- August 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library