Karen Gundersheimer Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains original art, sketches, typescripts, dummies, and additional process materials related to children's books published by Karen Gundersheimer, either as author/illustrator, or as illustrator. In addition to these materials, the collection also contains a significant amount of art she drew as a youth, personal memorabilia, children's correspondence, various artwork and sketchbooks, a drawing from Maurice Sendak he drew her for her birthday, and miscellaneous professional papers and drafts.
- Creation: circa 1950-2017
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Karen Gundersheimer is an author and illustrator. She was born in 1939 and currently lives in Sarasota, Florida.
9.12 Cubic Feet (11 boxes [5 record cartons, 1 hollinger box, 5 flat boxes])
Language of Materials
The collection contains written and illustrative materials for works written and/or illustrated by Karen Gundersheimer, as well as other personal and professional materials.
The collection is arranged into two series:
1) Published works
2) Personal and professional papers
Published works are arranged alphabetically by published title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Karen Gundersheimer.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Alphabet books
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Children's stories, American
- Color -- Juvenile fiction
- Counting -- Juvenile fiction
- Dance -- Juvenile fiction
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Play -- Juvenile fiction
- Stories in rhyme
- Time -- Juvenile fiction
- Winter -- Juvenile fiction
- Witches -- Juvenile fiction
- Karen Gundersheimer Papers, circa 1950-2017
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- December 2018: Collection reprocessed, new material added, and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library