Irwin Shapiro Collection
Scope and Contents
The Irwin Shapiro Papers contain one photostat typescript for a collection of stories with the title American Folklore Book. Though this typescript appears to be unpublished, several of the stories featured in it appear in the Golden Book Tall Tales of America, written by Shapiro and published in 1958.
- Shapiro, Irwin, 1911-1981 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Irwin Shapiro was born may 19, 1911, in Pittsburgh, PA, and died November 7, 1981. His interests included art and folklore; much of his writing reflects his interest in folklore.
Biographical Source: "Irwin Shapiro (1911-1981)." Something About the Author. Vol. 32. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1983.
Language of Materials
The collection contains a photostat typescript for a collection of folklore.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Folklore -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tall tales -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Irwin Shapiro Collection, undated
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library