Edwin Tunis Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains five original black and white illustrations for the nonfiction children's book Frontier Living, written and illustrated by Edwin Tunis.
- circa 1961
- Tunis, Edwin, 1897-1973 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Edwin Burdett Tunis was born in Cold Spring Harbor, New York in 1897. He attended the Maryland Institute of Art and Design and became a noted author and illustrator of children's books, most of which focused on history or the beginnings of industry. Frontier Livingwhich was named a Newbery Honor Book and an ALA Notable Children's Book in 1962.
Biographical source: "Edwin (Burdett) Tunis (1897-1973)." Something About the Author. Vol. 24 and 28. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1981 and 1982.
Language of Materials
Collection contains five original black and white illustrations for one children's book written and illustrated by Tunis.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Edwin Tunis Collection, circa 1961
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 2021: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library