Ruth C. White Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection typescripts and proofs for three books written by White: Belle Prater's Boy, Memories of Summer, and Weeping Willow.
- Creation: circa 1992-2000
- White, Ruth, 1942- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Ruth C. White was born on March 15, 1942 in Whitewood, Virginia. She received her B.A. from Pfeiffer College in 1966 and her library media specialist from Queens College, Charlotte, North Carolina in 1976. She has worked as an english teacher and a school librarian in the North Carolina and Georgia school systems. Her books focus on middle school and young adult readers, especially adolscent girls. Belle Prater's Boy, published in 1996, was named a Newbery Honor Book in 1997.
Biographical Source: "Ruth (C.) White (1942-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 117. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2000.
Language of Materials
Contains typescripts and proofs for three books by Ruth White.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Ruth C. White.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
- Children's literature, American
- Loss (Psychology) -- Juvenile fiction
- Mountain life -- Juvenile fiction
- Young adult literature, American
Genre / Form
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Cousins -- Juvenile fiction
- Dysfunctional families -- Juvenile fiction
- Identity (philosophical concept) -- Juvenile fiction
- Mentally ill -- Juvenile fiction
- Mother and child -- Juvenile fiction
- Sexual abuse victims -- Juvenile fiction
- Sisters -- Juvenile fiction
- Young adult fiction, American
- Ruth C. White Papers, circa 1992-2000
- Karen Spilman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library