Tomi Ungerer Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains ink illustsrations and studies studies, watercolors, and a tempera illustration for eight children's books created by author and artist Tomi Ungerer.
- Creation: circa 1957-circa 1962
- Ungerer, Tomi, 1931-2019 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jean Thomas Ungerer (Tomi) was born in Strasbourg, France in 1931. He studied at the Ecole des Arts Decoratifs and moved to the United State in 1957. He worked as a cartoonist, painter, advertising artist, writer and illustrator of books for both children and adults. He died in 2019 in Ireland.
Biographical Source: "(Jean) Thomas Ungerer (1931-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 106. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1999.
Language of Materials
The collection contains ink illustrations and studies, watercolors, and a tempera illustration for eight children's books created by Tomi Ungerer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Initially acquired by Dr. Irvin Kerlan, who donated the collection to the University of Minnesota.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Authors, French -- 20th century
- Brigands and robbers -- Juvenile fiction
- Brothers -- Juvenile fiction
- Cats -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's literature
- Christmas stories
- Christmas trees -- Juvenile fiction
- Hide-and-seek -- Juvenile fiction
- Illustrators -- France
- Picture books
- Snails -- Juvenile fiction
- Snakes -- Juvenile fiction
- Swine -- Juvenile fiction
- Tomi Ungerer Collection, circa 1957-circa 1962
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- September 2023: Collection reprocessed and collection guide updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library