Alison Uttley Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production material for dozens of short stories, novels, essays, and other works written by Alison Uttley, primarily proofs and typescripts, many of which are inscribed to Dr. Irvin Kerlan by Uttley, or have small notes about them written by Kerlan.
- circa 1936-1967
- Uttley, Alison, 1884-1976 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
An English author whose career spanned almost fifty years, Alison Uttley was best known for creating Little Grey Rabbit, a character who, with an assortment of friends, which appeared in more than 30 books. Uttley's childhood in Derbyshire, England at the turn of the century became the basis of her stories, her fairy tales, and her books of essays and reminiscences. Uttley was born Alice Taylor in Derbyshire, England, in 1884 and died in 1976.
Biographical Sources: Something About the Author, vol. 188, p. 198-202 and Contemporary Authors, vol. 53-56, p. 556-557.
2.5 Cubic Feet (2 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Alison Uttley's papers comprise production materials for dozens of short stories, novels, and other published works by Uttley.
Collection guide arrange alphabetically by title, with a few miscellaneous items at the end.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Alison Uttley gave portions of this collection to Dr. Irvin Kerlan, who donated his collection to the University of Minnesota. After Dr. Kerlan's death, Mrs. Uttley continued to donate production materials and books to the Kerlan Collection.
- Animals -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, English -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, English Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, English Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- England -- Social life and customs -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fantasy -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Great Britain -- History -- Tudors, 1485-1603 -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Short stories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Space and time -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Alison Uttley Papers, circa 1936-1967
- Emilie Quast
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 2019: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Kerlan Collection of Children's Literature Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library