Barbara Fleisher Zucker Papers on "Junior Natural History" and the Natural History Press
Scope and Contents
The collection contains typescripts, transcripts of interviews with Dorothy Edwards Shuttlesworth and George Frederick Mason, correspondence, and other general materials related to Barbara Fleisher Zucker's research on the magazines Junior Natural History and Nature and Science, the Natural History Press, and the American Museum of Natural History. The collection also contains a complete run of Junior Natural History from 1936 to 1963.
- 1936 - 1996
- Zucker, Barbara Fleisher, 1936- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Junior Natural History was a children's science magazine published by the American Museum of Natural History and edited by Dorothy Edwards Shuttlesworth. It's first issue was published in 1936. In the early 1960s the American Museum of Natural History joined a collaboration with Doubleday & Company for publishing, called the Natural History Press, and they began a new magazine titled Nature and Science. After the creation of Nature and Science, Junior Natural History was discontinued. Doubleday published Nature and Science until 1970, when it was discontinued.
1 Cubic Foot (3 hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection contains materials related to Barbara Fleisher Zucker's research into the Natural History Press and juvenile science magazines produced by the Press and the American Museum of Natural History during the mid-20th century.
The collection guide is arranged into two series:
1) Research (containing general research, notes, correspondence, and interviews) 2) Issues of "Junior Natural History"
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Barbara Fleisher Zucker.
- American Museum of Natural History -- Publishing
- Doubleday & Company, Inc. -- Publishing
- Mason, George Frederick, 1904-2000 (Interviewee)
- Natural history -- Publishing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publishers and publishing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Science publishing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Shuttlesworth, Dorothy Edwards, 1907- (Interviewee)
- Barbara Fleisher Zucker Papers on "Junior Natural History" and the Natural History Press, 1936-1996
- Leslie Czechowski and Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- October 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
- April 2018: New material added by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library