Louis Sachar Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains written production material for 9 published titles by Louis Sachar, including There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom, and several books in the Wayside School series. The papers include typescripts, some corrected or photocopied, corrected proofs, correspondence, notes, photocopied illustrations, and a jacket proof.
- 1978 - 1998
- Sachar, Louis, 1954- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sack'-er) was born March 20, 1954 in East Meadow, New York. He obtained a law degree, but after writing a children's book just for fun, he sent it off to a publisher, and it was accepted. His first book, inspired by his experiences during college as a teachers' aide, Sideways Stories from Wayside School, consists of a series of short stories of an elementary school thirty stories high, with classrooms stacked on top of each other. Eventually he wrote several more books about the Wayside School. He has also written a series of chapter books for younger readers, the 'Marvin Redpost' series. One of his best known books is There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom, which examines the reformation of a school bully. He was awarded the 1999 Newbery Medal for Holes.
Biographical Sources: Something About the Author, vols. 50, 63, 104 Children's Literature Review, vol. 79
3.75 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Louis Sachar Papers contain typescripts, correspondence, and page proofs related to the creation of nine published books by Sachar.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Louis Sachar.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Humorous stories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Schools -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Louis Sachar Papers, 1978-1998
- Caitlin Marineau
- September 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library