Harvey Schmidt Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains an original colored sketch, original black and white illustrations, and original black and white paintingn conceptions, for The Mighty Ones, written by Meindert De Jong.
- circa 1959
- Schmidt, Harvey (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Harvey Schmidt (born September 12, 1929 in Dallas, Texas, U.S.) was an American writer of musical theatre, best known for composing the music for the musical history, The Fantasticks, which ran off-Broadway from 1960 - 2002 for a total of 17,162 performances at the Sullivan Street Playhouse. He also collaborated on the 2000 feature film adaptation. Schmidt also worked for a period as an illustrator and graphic designer. Schmidt died in 2018.
Biographical Source: "Schmidt, Harvey." Wikipedia. Accessed 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Schmidt.
Language of Materials
The collection contains illustrative material for one children's book illustrated by Harvey Schmidt.
- Bible stories, English -- Old Testament Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Harvey Schmidt Papers, circa 1959
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- September 2021: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library