Judith Viorst Papers
Scope and Content
This collection contains typescripts, page proofs, correspondence, and other materials related to the creation of seven children's books written by Judith Viorst.
- Creation: 1973 - 2013
- Viorst, Judith (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Judith Viorst was born in Newark, NJ in 1931. Viorst earned degrees from Rutgers University and the Washinton Psychoanalytic Institute, and has worked as a poet and journalist, though she is most beloved for her children's books. She lives in Washington, D.C, with her husband Milton, and has three adult children.
.4 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of typescripts and production materials for seven titles by Judith Viorst.
Collection guide is arranged alphabetically by publication title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Judith Viorst.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Authors, American -- 21st century
- Babysitters -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's poetry, American
- Children's stories, American
- Cleanliness -- Juvenile fiction
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Monsters -- Juvenile fiction
- Mothers -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Spy stories
- Judith Viorst Papers, 1972-2013
- Caitlin Marineau
- October 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- October 2015: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
- January 2021: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library