Elizabeth Shub Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production material, including typescripts, manuscripts, and proofs, for 8 titles, the majority of which were translated by Elizabeth Shub. The collection also includes a typescript for one title, Seeing is Believing, which was written by Shub.
- Creation: 1971-circa 1982
- Shub, Elizabeth (Translator, Person)
- Bröger, Achim (Author, Person)
- Hauff, Wilhelm, 1802-1827 (Author, Person)
- Schlote, Wilhelm (Author, Person)
- Nikly, Michelle (Author, Person)
- Schneider, Gerlinde (Author, Person)
- Grimm, Jacob, 1785-1863 (Author, Person)
- Grimm, Wilhelm, 1786-1859 (Author, Person)
- Fontane, Theodor, 1819-1898 (Author, Person)
Elizabeth Shub was born in Poland and moved to the United States in 1919, where her father was a literary critic for the Yiddish newspaper The Day. Shub began a career in publishing and worked for Harper & Row, Charles Scribner, and Greenwillow Books. She translated works from German, Yiddish, and French, as well as writing several of her own titles. She died in 2004.
Lipson, Eden Ross. "Elizabeth Shub, 89, Translator And Editor of Children's Books." Obituary. The New York Times. June 22, 2004. www.nytimes.com/2004/06/22/us/elizabeth-shub-89-translator-and-editor-of-children-s-books.html.
.4 Cubic Feet (1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The collection contains written production material for works translated by Elizabeth Shub.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Elizabeth Shub.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
- Elizabeth Shub Papers, 1971-circa 1982
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- June 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library