John Rowe Townsend Papers
Scope and Contents
The John Rowe Townsend Papers contain typescripts, proofs, and notes for four juvenile books by Townsend.
- Creation: 1962 - 1975
- Townsend, John Rowe (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
John Rowe Townsend was born in Leeds, England in 1922. He received his bachelor's and master's degrees from Emmanuel College, Cambridge, worked as a journalist for the Manchester Guardian, and began his career as a children's book writer in his late thirties. In addition to his writing for young people, he was a scholar of children's literature. He died in 2014.
Biographical Source: "John Rowe Townsend (1922-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 132. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2002.
.4 Cubic Feet (1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
Contains production material for four books by John Rowe Townsend.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of John Rowe Townsend.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Authors, English -- 20th century
- Children's literature, English
- Conduct of Life -- Juvenile fiction
- Detective and mystery stories
- Families -- Juvenile fiction
- Fathers and sons -- Juvenile fiction
- Romance fiction
- Runaway teenagers -- Juvenile fiction
- Teenage boys -- England -- Juvenile fiction
- Young adult fiction, English
- Young adult literature, English
- John Rowe Townsend Papers, 1964-1975
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library