William Wise Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains typescripts, correspondence and manuscript notes for the biography Booker T. Washington, by William Wise.
- 1966 - 1970
- Wise, William, 1923- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
William Wise was born on July 21, 1923 in New York City. He earned his B.A. from Yale University in 1948. He has been the author of over 30 children's books since 1956. His works have included biographies of notable historical figures, such as Charles A. Lindbergh, Booker T. Washington, Alexander Hamilton and Albert Einstein, in addition to his story books for children.
Biographical Source: "William Wise (1923-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 4. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1971.
Language of Materials
Collection contain production material for one nonfiction children's book by William Wise.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of William Wise.
- African Americans -- Biography -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Washington, Booker T., 1856-1915 (Depicted) -- Juvenile literature
- William Wise Papers, 1966-1970
- Karen Spilman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library