Mel Silverman Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains illustrative, and a small amount of written, matterial for over 15 children's books illustrated by Mel Silverman, some of which he also wrote. Written material includes corrected typescripts. Illustrative material includes dummies, ink wash illustrations, layout boards, separations, lithograph prints, and other sketches and related material.
- Creation: circa 1957-circa 1966
- Silverman, Mel, 1931-1966 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Mel Silverman was born January 26, 1931, in Denver, Colorado and studied at the Chicago Art Institute. He became an artist and illustrator and illustrated numerous books for children. Silverman died in 1966.
Biographical Source: "Mel(vin Frank) Silverman (1931-1966)." Something About the Author. Vol. 9. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1976.
Language of Materials
The collection contains illustrative material, and a small amount of written material, for children's books illustrated and/or written by Mel Silverman.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by published title.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Archaeology -- History -- Juvenile literature
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Bible stories, English -- Old Testament
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Children's stories, American
- Detective and mystery stories
- Donkeys -- Juvenile fiction
- Families -- Juvenile fiction
- Indians of North America -- Juvenile fiction
- Italian American families -- Juvenile fiction
- Mayas -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Statue of Liberty (New York, N.Y.) -- Juvenile fiction
- Women -- United States -- History -- Juvenile literature
- Melvin Silverman Papers, circa 1957-circa 1966
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- December 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library