Meindert DeJong Collection
Scope and Contents
The Meindert DeJong collection contain corrected typescripts and proofs six children's books written by DeJong. Several of the titles also have notes on the material written by donor Irvin Kerlan.
- circa 1953-circa 1964
- De Jong, Meindert, 1906-1991 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Meindert DeJong was born March 4, 1906 in Wierum, Netherlands. Coming to the United States, he studied at Calvin College in Michigan. He began writing children's books in the 1930s, publishing his first book, The Big Goose and the Little White Duck in 1939. He served in the United States Army in China during World War II, before continuing his writing career after the war. In 1955 he won the Newbery Award for The Wheel on the School. He retired from writing in 1986, and died in Allegan, Michigan on July 16, 1991.
Biographical sources: "Meindert DeJong (1906-1991)." Something About the Author. Vol. 2 and 68. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1971 and 1992.
.4 Cubic Feet (2 hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection contains corrected typescripts and proofs related to children's books written by Meindert DeJong.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The bulk of the collection was originally given to Dr. Irvin Kerlan, who in turn donated it to the University of Minnesota.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, Dutch -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gardening -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Netherlands -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Storks -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kerlan, Irvin, 1912-1963 (Donor, Person)
- Meindert DeJong Collection, circa 1953-circa 1964
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- August 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library