Meindert De Jong Collection
Scope and Contents
The Meindert De Jong collection contain corrected typescripts and proofs six children's books written by De Jong. Several of the titles also have notes on the material written by donor Irvin Kerlan.
- circa 1953-circa 1964
- De Jong, Meindert, 1906-1991 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Meindert De Jong was born March 4, 1906 in Wierum, Netherlands. Coming to America, he studied at Calvin College in Michigan. He began writing children's books in the 1930s, publishing his first book, The Big Goose and the Little White Duckin 1939. In served in the United States Army in China during WWII, and continued his writing career after the war. In 1955 he won the Newbery Award for The Wheel on the School.Love of nature, and children's capabilities and sentiments, are themes which recur throughout many of DeJong's works. He retired from writing in 1986, and died in Allegan, Michigan on July 16, 1991.
Biographical sources: Something About the Author, v. 2, 68 Children's Literature Review v. 7
.4 Cubic Feet (2 hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection contains corrected typescripts and proofs related to children's books written by Meindert De Jong.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The bulk of the collection was originally given to Dr. Irvin Kerlan, who in turn donated it to the University of Minnesota.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gardening -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Netherlands -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Storks -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Meindert De Jong Collection
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Kerlan Collection of Children's Literature Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library