Stephani and Edward Godwin Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains illustrative production materials for 14 titles, two unverified as published, and includes pencil studies, original ink drawings, separations, drafts, and other production material. The items include works illustrated and/or written by Edward and Stephani Godwin.
- circa 1949-circa 1953
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Edward Scott-Snell was born in 1912 and Stephani Allfree Scott-Snell (both later called Godwin) was born in 1917. They moved from England to the United States in 1948, settling in Woodstock, NY. They collaborated together on both writing and illustrating several works before their marriage ended in 1955. Additional biographical information may be found in The Starlight Years: Love and War at Kelmscott Manor, 1940-1948: the Paintings, Drawings, and Writings of Edward and Stephani Scott-Snell/Godwin.
1 Cubic Foot (2 flat boxes and 1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The collection contains illustrative and written materials for works illustrated and/or written by Stephani and Edward Godwin.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Some of the collection was originally given by the Godwin's to Dr. Irvin Kerlan, who donated it to the University. Additional materials were donated by the Godwins' son, Joscelyn Godwin.
- Authors, English -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Color separation (technique) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- England Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Stephani and Edward Godwin Papers, circa 1949-circa 1953
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- October 2019: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library