Will Barker Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production material related to two nonfiction juvenile titles: Wildlife in America's History and Winter-Sleeping Wildlife. The collection also contains typescripts for articles published in various magazines, as well as greeting cards sent by Barker, and a short poem composed by Barker for Irvin Kerlan.
- 1957-circa 1962
- Barker, Will (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Author Will Barker was born March 25, 1908, in Troy, N.Y. He attended New York University and during World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps. From 1949 to 1954, Barker worked as a writer and editor for the U.S. Department of Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington, D.C. He received awards from the National Wildlife Federation for work in conservation education, twice, and from Stewart L. Udal, Secretary of Interior, for contribution to Birds in Our Lives. He primarily wrote nonfiction works about animals and natural history. In addition, he was a contributor to numerous newspapers and periodicals.
Biography Source: "Will Barker (1908-)." Something About The Author. Volume 8. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1976
.4 Cubic Feet (1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The collection contains production material related to two non-fiction books written by Will Barker, as well as typescripts for various articles, and greeting cards.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Will Barker via Dr. Irvin Kerlan.
- Animals -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Animals and civilization -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Articles Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hibernation -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Zoology -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kerlan, Irvin, 1912-1963 (Person)
- Will Barker Papers, 1957-circa 1962
- Nancy Larsen and Diep Truong
- 2003, 2009
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library