Victor Barnouw Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains corrected typescripts related to the children's book Dream of the Blue Heron, written by Victor Barnouw.
- circa 1966
- Barnouw, Victor (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Victor Barnouw was born in The Hague, Netherlands in 1915. He came to the United States in 1919 and became a naturalized citizen in 1924. He attended Princeton University from 1933 to 1935. He received his A.B. from Columbia University in 1940and his Ph.D. from Columbia in 1948. He spent most of his career teaching anthropology at the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee until he retired in 1979. He wrote numerous anthropological books and one children's book, Dream of the Blue Heron, published in 1966.
Language of Materials
The collection contains typescripts for a children's book written by Victor Barnouw.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Victor Barnouw.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Cultural assimilation -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ojibwa Indians -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Victor Barnouw Papers, circa 1966
- Nancy Larsen
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library