Joe Servello Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains illustrative material, and a small amount of written material, for dozens of works illustrated by Joe Servello, many of them unpublished. The titles include children's books and magazine articles. There is also a small amount of miscellaneous material. Written material includes typescripts and notes. Illustrative material includes dummies, illlustrations, studies, and sketches in a variety of media, as well as layouts, separations, proofs, and pasteups.
- Creation: circa 1969-2000
- Servello, Joe (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Joe Servello was born June 19, 1932, in Altoona, PA. He became an actor, TV art director, graphic artist, muralist, and teacher. He has also illustrated a number of children's books.
Biographical Sources: "Joe Servello (1932-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 10. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1976.
Language of Materials
The collection contains illustrative material, and a small amount of written material, for children's books, magazine, and unpublished works illustrated by Joe Servello.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Joe Servello.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Drawings (visual works)
- Ink wash paintings
- Manuscripts for publication
- Pastels (visual works)
- watercolors (paintings)
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Detective and mystery stories
- Dreams -- Juvenile fiction
- Environmentalism -- Juvenile literature
- Fairy tales -- United States
- Fantasy fiction
- Insects -- Juvenile fiction
- Magazine illustration -- 20th century
- Paranormal fiction
- Picture books
- Prehistoric peoples -- Juvenile fiction
- Schools -- Juvenile fiction
- Science -- Juvenile literature
- Science fiction
- Sleep -- Juvenile fiction
- Theater -- Juvenile fiction
- Joe Servello Papers, circa 1969-2000
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2016: New material added and collection guide updated.
- February 2021: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library