Gene Holtan Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains ink sketches, ink illustrations, and an illustrator's dummy for a children's book, Old Blue, You Good Dog You, illustrated by Gene Holtan.
- circa 1970
- Holtan, Gene (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Artist and illustrator Gene Holtan was born in 1930 in Saskatchewan, Canada. He studied for periods at both the Provincial Institute of Technology and Art in Calgary, Alberta and the Art Center in Los Angeles. He worked for many years as an illustrator and commercial artist before focusing on fine art.He moved to Santa Cruz, California in 1974 and died in 2016.
Biographical source: "Gene Holtan." Obituary. The Santa Cruz Sentinel. December 22, 2016.
Language of Materials
Collection contains illustrative material for the children's picture book, Old Blue, You Good Dog You, illustrated by Gene Holtan.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Gene Holtan in 1971.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Color separation (technique) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gene Holtan Collection, circa 1970
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library